How are those healthy eating New Years resolutions going? The roasted radicchio recipe I’m sharing today will do one of two things: Either you will love the adventure of cooking new foods and feeling good about what you are putting in your body (which is what I’m hoping for!). Or, you’ll make it, hate it and feel defeated.
DON’T BE DEFEATED! If you love radicchio, you’ll love this. And if you don’t, it’s an adventure! You can’t be afraid to make something you don’t like or have never tried. It’s part of the cooking journey. I believe in you!
Rain in California
We’re in California still, soaking up time with family and also laughing at the Californians driving in the rain. If you’ve ever seen Georgian’s when it snows you have a sense of what it’s like when it rains in California. People run to the store for bread and milk, schools let out, you leave work early (if you go at all). And all anyone talks about is if it’s raining or when it might rain. It’s cute.
Since there is a 70 percent chance of rain today, we’ve stocked up on all the essentials and are spending the day playing games, building puzzles and watching movies. It’s my favorite way to spend a rainy Monday. I have some extra blood oranges so after sharing this with you guys, I may try my hand at a blood orange curd. Stay tuned for that recipe! 🙂
My Notes on Roasted Radicchio with Warm Bacon Dressing and Blood Oranges
Radicchio is very bitter, but roasting it helps reduce the bitterness. The dressing and blood oranges had the perfect amount of savory and sweet.
You could also try tossing it with balsamic vinegar before roasting it. I didn’t do this, but I imagine the balsamic would make the roasted radicchio even sweeter, caramelizing it in the process.
- 2 large heads of round radicchios
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- kosher salt
- 8 ounces of bacon, chopped
- 1 blood orange, segmented.
- ½ cup of bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon of chopped thyme
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice radicchio in half, and then half again. In mixing bowl, working in batches, toss with olive oil and season with kosher salt.
- Place on parchment paper on jelly roll pan and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes, rotating half way through, until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, on stove, warm bacon fat in small saucepan. Add shallots and sauté for about 30 seconds. Whisk in vinegar, sugar, mustard, and thyme. Continue to whisk until emulsified.
- Place radicchio on serving plate, top with bacon and blood oranges. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.
Leave a Reply