Unfortunately for my brother and dad, they are die hard Redskin fans. It’s a little pathetic, I feel bad for them. But at least they get to eat good food (like these pork belly sliders). It makes this year’s Super Bowl a little more fun when your team isn’t in the final game of the season.
I first had a rendition of these sliders at a restaurant in Nashville a few months ago. I’ve been wanting to recreate it ever since and thought the upcoming Super Bowl was the perfect time. Although, there’s never really a bad time for seared pork belly sliders.
My Notes on Seared Pork Belly Sliders
If you can’t find pork belly or if you’re too lazy to make it, you can alternatively just use ham. I have done that a number of times with leftover holiday ham. Still very yum. But, to be fair, pork belly is the best. Always pork belly.
Pork belly can take a long time to cook, next time I’ll probably try throwing it in a dutch oven and searing it to finish. If you’re pressed for time you might try that. It won’t cut down on cooking time, but it will let you do something else while it cooks.
This recipe makes about a cup of mayonnaise. If you double it, you do not need to double the mayonnaise. The same goes for the Pickled Onions.
- 8 slider rolls
- 1 lb of pork belly
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons of lemon juice
- ¾ cup of sunflower oil
- 10 dashes of liquid smoke
- pickled red onions
- kosher salt
- cilantro for garnish
- Prepare these pickled onions ahead of time.
- Generously season pork belly with a light even dusting of kosher salt.
- Slice into pieces to fit your rolls, the thinner the better. Heat skilled on medium high heat. Add pork belly. Cook down until tender.
- Meanwhile, in blender or food processor combine egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice. Whirl for 20 seconds. Continue blending and slowly drizzle in oil in a stead stream.
- Add in liquid smoke and stir to combine.
- Assemble sandwich with mayo, onions, pork belly and garnish with cilantro.
Have you tried the recipe? Did you like it? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment and rate it below!